INTERNATIONAL PEACE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION (IPRA)
26th IPRA International General Conference on
‘AGENDA FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT:
FREETOWN, SIERRA LEONE
November 27th -1st December, 2016
Theme of the Conference: AGENDA FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT: Conflict Prevention, Post-Conflict Transformation, and the Conflict, Disaster and Sustainable Development Debate
Ecology and Peace Commission
IPRA’s Ecology and Peace Commission (EPC) addresses the relationship between the Earth and human systems, and their impacts on peace. A special focus is placed on the linkages between problems of sustainable development and sustainable peace. The EPC evolved from the Food Study Group, which became Ecology and Peace Commission (EPC). In 2004 an Earth Charter Working Group was also set up. Many wars have been related to resource conflicts and therefore the EPC focused on conflict resolution related to sustainable development and processes of sustainable transition toward ecological civilization.
The conveners are elected by the participants during IPRA conferences for a two year period to prepare the publications for the past conference and to prepare the sessions for the next conference. The conveners between the IPRA conferences in Mie (2012) and Istanbul (2014) were:
Based on the presentations of the IPRA conference in Mie (November 2015) they published this peer-reviewed book:
Ursula Oswald Spring; Hans Günter Brauch; Keith G. Tidball (Eds.): Expanding Peace Ecology: Security, Sustainability, Equity and Peace: Perspectives of IPRA’s Ecology and Peace Commission 1. SpringerBriefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace, vol. 12. Peace and Security Studies No. 2 (Cham – Heidelberg – New York – Dordrecht – London: Springer-Verlag, 2014).
ISBN (Print): 978-3-319-00728-1
ISBN (Online/eBook): 978-3-319-00729-8
In August 2014 in Istanbul, the conveners between the IPRA conferences in Istanbul (2014) and in Freetown (2016) were elected:
- Prof. Dr. Úrsula Oswald Spring (CRIM/UNAM, Cuernavaca, Mexico)
- Hans Guenter Brauch (Free University of Berlin (ret.), Peace Research and European Security Studies [AFES-PRESS], Mosbach, Germany)
Based on the presentations of the IPRA conference in Istanbul (August 2014) they published these two peer-reviewed books:
- Hans Günter Brauch, Úrsula Oswald Spring, Juliet Bennett, Serena Eréndira Serrano Oswald (Eds.): Addressing Global Environmental Challenges in Biodiversity, Water, Food, Energy and Waste: Perspectives on Sustainable Peace. SpringerBriefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace, vol. 27. Peace and Security Studies No. 4.
- Úrsula Oswald Spring, Hans Günter Brauch, Serena Eréndira Serrano Oswald, Juliet Bennett (Eds.): Regional Ecological Challenges for Peace in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Asia Pacific. SpringerBriefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace, vol. 28. Peace and Security Studies No. 5.
Ecology and Peace Commission (EPC) Call for Papers
For the 2016 IPRA Conference the EPC conveners invite researchers and students to present abstracts for EPC with focus on the following themes:
- Sustainability Transformation and Sustainable Peace
- Developing what? Critical perspectives on sustainable development goals
- Envisioning and moving toward an environmental civilization
- Connections between human wellbeing and the wellbeing of the planet
- Effects of conflict on environment, and solutions
- Mitigating and adapting to climate change in a peaceful way
- International Environmental Policy: motivating political will and implementation
- Holistic approaches to structural violence, connecting issues such as population, gender, poverty, environment, culture, food, water, energy, agriculture, education and economics
- Additional submitted papers related to environment and peace
Abstracts will be peer reviewed for acceptance. Accepted participants must submit the full paper before two months to the conference. Competitive conference participation grants will be offered with preference given to young students from the Global South.
It is again planned to publish selected papers as a special issue of a peer-reviewed scientific journal or in a book in this book series.
Three types of submissions will be considered: abstracts, individual papers, and panel discussions. Where appropriate, submissions should be written according to a scholarly style manual. The same submission should not be submitted to more than one Commission. Any double submission will be automatically removed from the system. In order to accommodate audio-visual needs, please indicate specific equipment needs during the submission process. Please make the request only if necessary. Student papers should be clearly identified in the header. All submissions should be completed by uploading your completed form into the central submission database on the IPRA 2016 Conference web site. Abstracts or panel proposals should be included in the Application Form but completed papers should be sent as attachments at least two months before the conference. To ensure blind review, ALL NAMES MUST BE REMOVED from the abstracts or panel proposals before they are uploaded in the application form. Any abstract or panel proposal with names or affiliations of the author(s) will be removed from the review process.
For specific details regarding types of submissions see below:
Abstract should include a title and should be between 300-500 words addressing the purpose of the research, the goals, methods, and the type of data.
Proposals for panel discussions should include the title of the submission, description of the panel and how it will be conducted, presenters’ names and institutional affiliations, and a 1-2 page panel rationale which explains the justification for the panel. Please also include abstracts from the individual contributors to the panel. Preference will be given to proposals featuring participants from different institutions.
Completed paper submissions due two months before the conference should include a title and a 100-150 word abstract.
IPRA 2016 CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT
- Senthan Selvarajah -- (Northumbria University, UK)
- Di Luo --(Northumbria University, UK)
- Brima Bah, University of Sierra Leone, SL
IPRA 2016 CONFERENCE BROCHURE EDITORIAL COMMITTEE
- Ibrahim Seaga Shaw—Northumbria University, UK
- Senthan Selvarajah—Northumbria University, UK